Monday, July 7, 2008


I probably have about enough projects to post one a day for the next 3 months. I'm not however going to be able to do that so instead I'll just post some of my favorites. This one here is a real gem. I'm so pleased with how it turned out that I started another one in a different color already.

I took the basic pattern of Katja and modified it heavily.
I used the 6 month size for my daughter.
After I knitted the cups and joined them together I knitted 1 row of garter and then one row of (K2tog, yo) to create holes to weave in ribbon.

Then I added a lace panel from the pattern Liesel
I added a one stitch increase every 10 rows or so about 20 stitches in on either side so that the sides would puff out a little above the lace border on the bottom. When I was satisfied with the length at this point I knit a few more rows of garter and bound off VERY loosely so there would be some give and stretch after I pieced the next part on.

For the lace border I took an edging from the book "Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns". Made enough repeats to cover the width and then sewed it on. With a wash and block the cotton yarn didn't budge too much but did even out some stitches. I used one ball of TLC Cotton Plus. The pattern calls to make an I-Cord to tie in the back of the neck but I chose to knit some garter straps instead using the three stitches that are left after the cup decreases. I think it makes the piece look more elegant when their crossed.

Overall this was such a fun and easy free pattern to modify and truly make a one of a kind garment. If you want to see more details you can find this Ravelry project here